Question about Macro PDF417 at reading with physical barcode scanner

Question about Macro PDF417 at reading with physical barcode scanner

Seung Hyun Park-2
Hello.

I send this mail because I have a complex problem about Macro PDF 417
at reading with physical barcode scanner.

I have a barcode scanner made by Symbol Technologies, which developed
and opened PDF417.

It supports Macro PDF417 - if I recognize the segments of Macro PDF417
one by one, my barcode scanner writes decoded data as soon as it
finishes reading last segment.

In order to test my barcode scanner, I made two Macro PDF417 images
and insert them into a new PDF document using iTextSharp as
followings;
Dim document As New Document
Dim writer As PdfWriter = PdfWriter.GetInstance(document, New
FileStream("MacroPDF417-out.pdf", FileMode.Create))

document.Open()

Dim pdf417_1 As New BarcodePDF417
pdf417_1.Options = BarcodePDF417.PDF417_USE_MACRO Or
BarcodePDF417.PDF417_FIXED_RECTANGLE

pdf417_1.MacroFileId = "1"
pdf417_1.MacroSegmentCount = 2
pdf417_1.MacroSegmentId = 0

pdf417_1.SetText("This is first segment of MacroPDF417.")

Dim pdf417_2 As New BarcodePDF417
pdf417_2.Options = BarcodePDF417.PDF417_USE_MACRO Or
BarcodePDF417.PDF417_FIXED_RECTANGLE

pdf417_2.MacroFileId = "1"
pdf417_2.MacroSegmentCount = 2
pdf417_2.MacroSegmentId = 1

pdf417_2.SetText("This is second segment of MacroPDF417.")

Dim img1 As Image = pdf417_1.GetImage
Dim img2 As Image = pdf417_2.GetImage

document.Add(img1)
document.Add(New Paragraph(vbCrLf))
document.Add(img2)

document.Close()

But, my barcode scanner did not work properly.

My problem is as followings;

1. Normal PDF417 codes are recognized well.

2. Macro PDF417 codes are recognized for only fist trial;

When I recognized a Macro PDF417 code at first time, my barcode scanner worked.

When I recognized it again, it did not work. It finished recognition
and wrote data as soon as it read the first segment. And then, it
could not recognize Macro PDF417 any more and I had to reset it.

Hmm… I worried about my short English skill.

Namely;
1. Reading a Macro PDF 417 having two segments at first time -> OK!
2. Reading it again -> it finished recognition and wrote data as soon
as it read the first segment. Moreover, I have to reset it.

I tried another Macro PDF 417 sample that is not made by iTextSharp.

I used this;
http://www.inliteresearch.com/appnotes/Note%2032%20Interpretation%20of%20Macro%20PDF417.pdf

Above sample worked very well with my barcode scanner although I
recognized it repeatedly.

I tried to recognize them with PDF417 barcode recognition SDK and I
found that the trailer structure of above sample is different to that
of my barcodes made my iTextSharp.

Please see above PDF document.

At iTextSharp,
\92800000\841\923\00100002
\92800001\841\923\00100002\922

At another sample,
\92800000\237
\92800001\237\922

I don't know which is correct and which is wrong.

If you could take a few minutes to help me, I would really appreciate
it. (Actually this problem is urgent to me.)

Thank you in advance for your help and apologize for my short English skill.

Best regards,

S. H. Park

Interpretation of Macro PDF417.pdf (386K) Download Attachment

Re: Question about Macro PDF417 at reading withphysical barcode scanner

Paulo Soares
I looked at the macro specification and iText is not placing the padding
at the right place. This may be a problem with some readers or not. I
have two Symbol readers, one rather old (1999) and another very recent,
camera type, that reads all the 2D codes out there. The behavior is
exactly the same with my code and with the Inlite codes. The old one can
read the codes in any order. The recent one MUST read the code in the
segment order. If the codes are read out of order it just beeps with any
code and does nothing and has to be switched off. I vote this as a
reader bug. I'm going to place the padding in the right place, maybe it
will suit the idiosyncrasies of your reader.

Paulo

Aviso Legal:
Esta mensagem é destinada exclusivamente ao destinatário. Pode conter informação confidencial ou legalmente protegida. A incorrecta transmissão desta mensagem não significa a perca de confidencialidade. Se esta mensagem for recebida por engano, por favor envie-a de volta para o remetente e apague-a do seu sistema de imediato. É proibido a qualquer pessoa que não o destinatário de usar, revelar ou distribuir qualquer parte desta mensagem.

Disclaimer:
This message is destined exclusively to the intended receiver. It may contain confidential or legally protected information. The incorrect transmission of this message does not mean the loss of its confidentiality. If this message is received by mistake, please send it back to the sender and delete it from your system immediately. It is forbidden to any person who is not the intended receiver to use, distribute or copy any part of this message.

Re: Question about Macro PDF417 at readingwithphysical barcode scanner

Seung Hyun Park-2
Thank you very much, Paulo.

The model name of my reader is DS6708 and it must be recent model.
I'll ask seller the idiosyncrasies of it while waiting for your works.

I looked at the macro specification and iText is not placing the padding
at the right place. This may be a problem with some readers or not. I
have two Symbol readers, one rather old (1999) and another very recent,
camera type, that reads all the 2D codes out there. The behavior is
exactly the same with my code and with the Inlite codes. The old one can
read the codes in any order. The recent one MUST read the code in the
segment order. If the codes are read out of order it just beeps with any
code and does nothing and has to be switched off. I vote this as a
reader bug. I'm going to place the padding in the right place, maybe it
will suit the idiosyncrasies of your reader.

Paulo

Aviso Legal:

Esta mensagem i destinada exclusivamente ao destinatario. Pode conter
informagco confidencial ou legalmente protegida. A incorrecta transmissco
desta mensagem nco significa a perca de confidencialidade. Se esta mensagem
for recebida por engano, por favor envie-a de volta para o remetente e
apague-a do seu sistema de imediato. I proibido a qualquer pessoa que nco o
destinatario de usar, revelar ou distribuir qualquer parte desta mensagem.

Disclaimer:

This message is destined exclusively to the intended receiver. It may
contain confidential or legally protected information. The incorrect
transmission of this message does not mean the loss of its confidentiality.
If this message is received by mistake, please send it back to the sender
and delete it from your system immediately. It is forbidden to any person
who is not the intended receiver to use, distribute or copy any part of this
message.

Re: Question about Macro PDF417 atreadingwithphysical barcode scanner

Paulo Soares
I released a new version with the macro changes, you may want to try it.

Paulo

Thank you very much for your help.

I tried with iTextSharp 4.0.5 but my problem was not disappeared.

And... the trailers at iTextSharp 4.0.5 were same to that of previous version.

At iTextSharp 4.0.4
\92800000\841\923\00100002
\92800001\841\923\00100002\922

At iTextSharp 4.0.5
\92800000\841\923\00100002
\92800001\841\923\00100002\922

I used Inlite ClearImage Demo for software decoding.

I do not know PDF417 spec very well but I think that "\00100002" trailer element may be the source of my problem.

How can I remove it?

P.S. The version of uploaded files at Sourceforge is still 4.0.4 although they are new version.
When I opened new source, the version string in the AssemblyInfo.cs was "4.0.4".

2007/9/12, Paulo Soares <[hidden email]>:
I released a new version with the macro changes, you may want to try it.

Paulo

The Inlite and the iText code is correct. iText has an extra optional
field with the segment count, maybe your reader doesn't like it. You can
remove this extra field, go to BarcodePDF417.MacroCodes() and remove the
lines:

codewords[cwPtr++] = MACRO_SEGMENT_COUNT;
codewords[cwPtr++] = 1;
Append(macroSegmentCount, 5);

Paulo

It works very well.

My problem disappeared after I removed them in the source codes.

But, I still must reset my barcode if I read segments in incorrect order. I think that it is the bug of my scanner.

Thank you very much.

2007/9/12, Paulo Soares <[hidden email]>:
The Inlite and the iText code is correct. iText has an extra optional
field with the segment count, maybe your reader doesn't like it. You can
remove this extra field, go to BarcodePDF417.MacroCodes() and remove the
lines:

codewords[cwPtr++] = MACRO_SEGMENT_COUNT;
codewords[cwPtr++] = 1;
Append(macroSegmentCount, 5);

Paulo

Paulo Soares-2

[hidden email]

> MacroPDF417atreadingwithphysical barcode scanner
>
> It works very well.
>
> My problem disappeared after I removed them in the
source codes.

I'm going to remove it from iText, after all, it's
optional.

> But, I still must reset my barcode if I read
segments in
> incorrect order. I think that it is the bug of my
scanner.

My recent scanner has the same bug but my older
scanner works correctly. I generally find that CCD
scanners are worse than laser ones.

Paulo

> Thank you very much.
>

> 2007/9/12, Paulo Soares <[hidden email]>:
>
> The Inlite and the iText code is correct. iText has
an
> extra optional
> field with the segment count, maybe your reader
doesn't

> like it. You can
> remove this extra field, go to
> BarcodePDF417.MacroCodes() and remove the
> lines:
>
> codewords[cwPtr++] = MACRO_SEGMENT_COUNT;
> codewords[cwPtr++] = 1;
> Append(macroSegmentCount, 5);
>
> Paulo

Re: Question about Macro PDF417 at reading with physical barcode scanner

joshnoth
This post was updated on .
Wow, this is a long thread. But after reading it, I still can not know how to do with this PDF-417 barcode issue.